Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Conspiracy And Betrayal Of Christ

Matthew 26:3-5) Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high priest, who was called Ca′iaphas, and took counsel together in order to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him. But they said, “Not during the feast, lest there be a tumult among the people.”

(Vs 14-16) Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What will you give me if I deliver him to you?” And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him.

(vs 36-39) Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsem′ane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go yonder and pray.” And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zeb′edee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.” 

(John 18:37) Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one who is of the truth hears my voice.”

Jesus knew beforehand that He would come into the world by humble means and although He is the promised Messiah of Israel, to fulfill the first half of the prophecy He presented Himself as the final sacrifice for the sins of man. He was destined before the foundations of the world to be the Lamb of God. The remainder of the prophecy is to be fulfilled when He returns triumphantly as The Lion of the Tribe of Judah to assume kingship over the entire earth. As He prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.” His humanity was evident having known beforehand what was coming, but He emptied Himself and submitted to the will of the Father even unto death.

No comments:

Post a Comment